Students fall ill after gas leak at Penrith Anglican College

Share this story

Staff and students received medical attention after an incident at Penrith Anglican College this morning.

A small fridge is understood to have malfunctioned in the Pre-Kindergarten teacher’s staff room at the Orchard Hills-based school earlier today.

As a precaution, emergency crews attended the College and confirmed the fridge was the likely source of an odour.

A NSW Ambulance spokesperson confirmed that two staff members were transported to Nepean Hospital for observations.

All staff and students who were in the vicinity were assessed by paramedics, with some understood to be experiencing nausea and dizziness.

Penrith Anglican College Principal Felicity Grima said the NSW Fire Brigade’s Hazardous Response Team completed an assessment and could not find any toxic or poisonous fumes.

“We were advised that the Pre-Kindergarten classrooms were able to be used, but as a precaution, we have chosen to keep the classrooms clear for the rest of the day to allow for ventilation. No students will be returning to the rooms today,” Ms Grima said.

“The incident has been resolved and there is no cause for concern. We thank the emergency services for their prompt, efficient and thorough response.”

Share this story