Gas leak in Cranebrook child care centre

Share this story

Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) crews have identified and contained a gas leak that has caused the evacuation of 80 children and teachers today at Cranebrook.

FRNSW Hazardous Materials experts attended a child care centre in Renshaw Street, Cranebrook just after 10am on Friday, April 1, in relation to complaints about an obnoxious odour.

Some occupants of the centre were suffering nausea, others reported feeling lightheaded.
NSW Ambulance Paramedics worked to treat those people and transported one patient to hospital.

Leaking gas from a faulty air conditioning unit is thought to have caused the incident.
Firefighters have rendered the property safe and the occupants have been allowed to return.

Superintendent Adam Dewberry from Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) said this is a timely reminder that calling Triple Zero (000) for a fire emergency can be the difference between life and death, or a building or other property being saved or destroyed.

The Triple Zero (000) service is the quickest way to get the right resources from emergency services to help you. It should be used to contact Police, Fire or Ambulance services in life-threatening or time-critical situations.

Share this story