Local basketballer Angus Brandt could be the first Penrith junior to make an NBA roster after the two-time NBL champion trialled with two teams in recent weeks.
The 29-year-old centre worked out with the Sacramento Kings last Wednesday, while earlier this week he was in Texas participating in a free agent Mini Camp hosted by the Dallas Mavericks.
The former Sydney King and 2015 NBL Rookie of the Year is hoping his various workouts in the US will land him on a roster for next month’s NBA Summer League competitions in Sacramento and Las Vegas.
“Overall the workout went well,” Brandt told NBL Media following his trial with the Kings.
“It was definitely a learning experience but overall a very positive one. I’m really glad to have done it and am thankful for the opportunity.
“The feedback from the team was really positive. They were really happy with the energy I brought and how I carried myself on and off the court.”
The former Panther averaged eight points and six rebounds per game as Perth’s starting centre last season, playing a crucial role in helping the Wildcats secure their ninth NBL title.
However, Brandt has confirmed he won’t be returning to the NBL next season, having exercised a European out-clause in his contract to pursue opportunities overseas.
Speaking ahead of his workout in Dallas, Brandt said his trial in Sacramento had better prepared him for what’s ahead in his career.
“I’m feeling a lot more comfortable about the Mini Camp coming up in Dallas,” he said.
“Now that I have one under my belt it won’t be a completely new experience for me.
“My mindset going into that camp is to carry myself in the same way as I did today and show the best version of myself and my skillset I can.”
The Dallas Mavericks have shown a keen interest in NBL talent over the years, inviting multiple Australian players to participate in the June Mini Camp. They’ve also had an NBL player on each of their past two Summer League squads.
Brandt will learn if he’s made a NBA Summer League roster in the coming weeks.
Nathan Taylor is the Weekender’s Deputy Editor and Senior Sports Writer. He also compiles the weekly Chatter on the Box TV column. Nathan is an award-winning journalist, who has worked at the Weekender for nearly a decade.