Three injured in stabbing at rugby league match involving Penrith Brothers under 20s team

Share this story

A teenager has been arrested at Cambridge Park in connection with a stabbing incident after a rugby league game earlier today.

Three people were taken to hospital following the incident, which reportedly happened after the under 20s game between Wentworthville and Penrith Brothers in North Parramatta this morning.

Those injured were all men aged between 16 and 19. They were treated by paramedics before being taken to Westmead Hospital, where two are reported to be in a serious condition.

Several men fled the scene prior to the arrival of police, sparking a major police investigation involving PolAir, on the ground officers and the Public Order and Riot Squad.

They arrested a 19-year-old man at a home in Cambridge Park around 2pm. He was taken to Nepean Hospital under police guard for treatment of an existing hand injury.

Investigations by police are ongoing.

NSWRL Chief Executive David Trodden said he was disgusted by the incident.

“The incident is sickening criminal behaviour and those responsible for it deserve to face the full force of the law,” he said.

“Everyone who enjoys community sport at the weekend should expect to be able to do in a safe environment and it is nothing short of appalling that an incident like this has taken place in an area adjacent to where one of our matches was being conducted.

“The NSWRL will provide their full cooperation to Police in order to bring those responsible to justice. Beyond any criminal behaviour, anybody involved with the incident can expect never to have a role in our game ever again.”

Trodden said that in the circumstances, both teams have been stood down immediately pending the outcome of the Police investigation.

“Our thoughts are with the families of the victims and anyone else who was affected by the traumatic event and we offer the full support of all our counselling and other services to them,” Trodden said.

Share this story