Shot officer’s wife thanks community for its support

Sandra Warburton and her husband Luke in hospital in 2016
Share this story

Senior Constable Luke Warburton has a long road to recovery ahead after the double shooting at Nepean Hospital last week.

Sandra Warburton, Senior Constable Warburton’s wife, addressed the media today to not only thank the community for their generosity, but to also provide an update on her husband’s condition after he was shot in the leg during a scuffle with a patient at the hospital.

“As you know Luke required several life saving blood transfusions,” Mrs Warburton said.

“We are incredibly grateful that his condition is improving and the children and I can’t wait to have him home.

“He still has a long journey of recovery ahead and it will be challenging for the whole family.”

Mrs Warburton, who has three young children with her husband, said the incident was terrifying and unexpected.

“It was a terrifying thing to receive that phone call – it was just really surreal because you never think it will happen,” she said.

“While I knew every time that he leaves for work that he could be injured when helping someone else, I never thought it would really happen.”

The family have received an enormous amount of support, Mrs Warburton said.

“A big thank you to the NSW police and the association for their well wishes over the past week,” she said.

“We have been overwhelmed with the well wishes and offers of assistance, it’s truly a wonderful family.”

Members of the community have also sent messages of support.

“The most incredible part of this experience has been the support Luke and our family have received from the community,” she said.

“When times are tough you know your family will be there and you’d expect support from your friends, colleagues and neighbours but you would never expect it from complete strangers.”

Violence in NSW hospitals has been at the forefront of discussions over the past week, with the New South Wales Government announcing an audit of hospital security after reports of a growing number of violent incidents, following the incident at Nepean Hospital.

Share this story