Charges laid after Wallacia armed robbery

Wallacia Hotel.
Share this story

Detectives have charged a man following an investigation into an armed robbery at the Wallacia Hotel earlier this month, and two car-jackings near Wollongong earlier this week.

About 4.30am on Friday, April 2, emergency services were called to the venue on Mulgoa Road at Wallacia, following reports of an armed robbery.

Police were told a man – armed with a firearm – entered the hotel and threatened staff, before stealing cash and a white Holden Commodore that had been parked outside.

The man then left the area in the stolen sedan and was last seen travelling south on Mulgoa Road.

The two employees were not physically injured during the incident.

Initial inquiries were conducted by officers from Nepean Police Area Command, before detectives from the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad took carriage of the incident under Strike Force Decora.

During the investigation, police were notified of an incident at Mt Kiera on Tuesday, April 13.

Police were told a man sitting in a parked prime mover on Harry Graham Drive, when he was approached by a man and a woman – allegedly armed with a firearm.

The man was allegedly threatened and detained, before the pair stole his personal items and the vehicle.

It’s alleged the pair pulled over about 600 metres down the same road and approached the occupant of a parked Subaru Liberty.

The male occupant was also allegedly threatened with the firearm and forced from the vehicle, before the man and woman set fire to the prime mover and stole the Subaru.

Following extensive investigations, Strike Force Decora detectives arrested a 42-year-old man at Gregory Hills, about 2.30pm on Thursday, April 15.

Detectives searched the man and his vehicle, locating a vehicle registration plate, knuckledusters and a folding knife.

Officers subsequently executed a search warrant at a home on Bents Basin Road, Wallacia, where they located prohibited drugs and electronic items.

All items seized during the operation will undergo forensic examination.

The man was taken to Narellan Police Station where he was charged with three counts of robbery while armed with dangerous weapon and destroy property in company use fire.

He was refused to appear at Picton Local Court on Friday, April 16.

As investigations continue, police would like to speak with a woman described as having long blonde hair and about 167cm tall. She was last seen wearing grey tack pants and a beige jumper.

Inquiries under Strike Force Decora are continuing.

Anyone with information that could assist strike force detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. 

Share this story