Police announce $1 million reward as they hunt Adrian Buxton’s killer

Share this story

Adrian Buxton.

Nearly five years after Adrian Buxton was shot dead at his home in Colyton, the State Government and NSW Police Force have announced a $1 million reward for information relating to his murder.

Just after 9pm on May 19, 2016, police and emergency services were called to Coral Pea Court, Colyton, where they located Mr Buxton, aged 31, with gunshot wounds.

He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics but died at the scene and Strike Force Thistleton was established to investigate his murder.

Believed to be taking out his garbage bin when the attack happened, police were told Mr Buxton was confronted by two men in his driveway and shot several times before two people ran from the scene.

Police at the scene of the Colyton murder in 2016.

It is believed the pair was then picked up by a vehicle a short distance from the home but, after reviewing CCTV, detectives identified three vehicles travelling together in the area at the time of the incident.

In September 2016, police conducting separate investigations also seized a firearm and a vehicle, which were linked to the case.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, told media on Wednesday that he was optimistic the reward would provide significant incentive for people to report information about the ‘brazen and organised act’ to police.

Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said Strike Force Thistleton detectives have seized significant evidence over the past five years.

“This has been a complex and protracted investigation that has seen detectives explore several lines of inquiry – collecting information from the public and other police inquiries,” he said.

“While one of the vehicles believed to have been involved in the incident was recovered in 2016, police are still seeking information on two others, including a black Audi Q7.”

Emergency services respond to the scene in 2016.

Detective Superintendent Doherty said police will continue investigating the case to find who was responsible for the murder.

“It has been a long five years for Adrian’s family, and we remain hopeful that we can provide much-needed answers to his mother, wife and young son,” he said.

“We believe there were five or more people involved and detectives are urging anyone with information about the identities of those involved, as well as the planning and aftermath, to come forward.”


It’s hard to express in words what our family has been through since Adrian’s death nearly five years ago.

Adrian was a loving son, brother, husband and father, and is missed dearly by our family every day.

He was taken from us far too soon and we wish that he was still with us today to see his son grow.

On behalf of our family, we want to thank the community for their support and are grateful that a reward is now on offer, in the hopes that one day we may find justice for Adrian.

Share this story