Teen killed in Erskine Park tragedy

Photo: Jason Donnelly
Share this story

Investigations are continuing after a 13-year-old boy died in Erskine Park after a tragic collision with a semi-trailer this morning.

At about 3.10am, emergency services were called to Tyrone Place where they found a 13-year-old boy unconscious on the road.

Early investigations carried out by police suggest the 13-year-old boy was on a moped that collided with the rear of a parked semi-trailer.

Three boys were at the scene, including one 17-year-old and one 16-year-old as well as the 13-year-old.

Police said it’s unclear if the two teens were simply observing the 13-year-old on the moped or were also taking part in the activity.

It’s understood the 13-year-old suffered fatal head injuries and was not wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.

The 17-year-old ran to nearby security to get help while the 16-year-old remained at the scene after the collision.

Duty Officer at St Marys Police Station, Chief Inspector Tracy Stone, told the media on Tuesday the injuries the boy sustained were severe.

“The boy has collided with the truck and the injuries were significant enough that he died after CPR was given at the scene – they’re actually very bad injuries,” Chief Insp Stone said.

“We are still investigating the actions taken before the collision and how the boys came to be in the possession of a moped.”

Photo: Jason Donnelly
Photo: Jason Donnelly

Both teenagers are assisting police with their inquiries but had not yet been formally interviewed by police on Tuesday at midday.

“Young boys with risk taking behaviour is of concern to police and we would hope that they would consider these risks before taking them,” Chief Insp Stone said.

“We will offer extended support services to those people who were first on the scene as well as our officers who were also present at the scene.”

Police are asking for any witnesses to the incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or St Marys Police on 9677 7499.

The relationship between the three boys is still unknown as the 13-year-old has not yet been formally identified.

Investigations are continuing.


Share this story