Community service after rampage

Share this story

A 34-year-old man from St Marys appeared in Penrith Local Court after a night of drinking with his cousins turned ugly and resulted in a number of police charges.

The man appeared in court on Monday charged with knowingly being carried in conveyance without consent of owner, Affray, Destroy or damage property and intentionally throw objects.

On the afternoon of Saturday, November 3, 2012, the offender was at his property in St Marys, accompanied by two of his cousins. All three men were consuming an amount of alcohol before the offender’s cousins decided that they would like to go to a party.

The offender took the keys to a car, without the consent of the owner, handed them to one of his cousins who got in the drivers seat. The offender took the passenger seat.

The three men set off and they made their way to Adelaide Street, St Marys, where, at about 8.30pm the car collided with a parked car along that street, causing minor damage.

About 10 metres down the road, they collided with another parked car, this time more forcefully, causing it to hit the car in front which caused that car to hit the car parked in front of it (by this time the offender was inside a car which had damaged four other cars).

The men were not injured.

They exited the car and walked away from the scene without attempting to contact the owners of those cars.

Residents who had stepped onto the street after hearing the noise called for the men to return so that they could speak with police but they continued to walk away.

Three residents then got into a car and began to follow the offender and his cousins, with the intent of aiding police.

The offender and his cousins then began to throw rocks, parts of bricks and pieces of concrete at the car, breaking a window and injuring the face and head of one of the passengers who was taken back to await an ambulance.

The offender and his cousins were approached by police. They ran but were apprehended in the rear yard of an address in Oxley Park.

They were then taken back to St Marys Police Station and was charged with the offences.

The offender appeared in court this week where he was placed on a good behaviour bond for 12 months and was ordered to undertake 300 hours of community service.

Share this story