Baton Relay arrives in Penrith

SHARE
Michael O'Loughlin (left) locks the Baton away for its next journey.

Thousands of people have welcomed the Queen’s Baton Relay to Penrith as it continues its journey towards the Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games.

AFL premiership winner Michael O’Loughlin carried the Baton into Jamison Park.

“I’m absolutely rapt to see everyone here today. It’s been an absolute huge honour for me to carry this today,” O’Loughlin said.

Penrith Mayor John Thain, who was Mayor the last time the Baton came to Penrith in 2006, said it was great to see a huge crowd getting behind the Commonwealth Games.

“It’s great to see so many faces out here at Jamo Park – what a terrific turnout,” he said.

“I’m so thrilled that Penrith was chosen to be part of the 2018 Queen’s Baton Relay.

“It’s awesome to think that the Relay started at Buckingham Palace in March last year.”

BREAKING: The Queen's Baton Relay is arriving in Penrith

Posted by The Western Weekender on Saturday, 3 February 2018

 

Penrith MP and Sports Minister Stuart Ayres encouraged everyone to get behind the Games in April.

“The Commonwealth Games is a great opportunity for all of us to put aside our state rivalries… and get out there and support the Australian team,” he said.

The Queen’s Baton Relay is travelling a record 230,000km around the world and while in Australia will be carried by 3,800 batonbearers.

Penrith is one of only four metro NSW locations the baton will visit during its 10 day route through the state.

SHARE