Something big is coming to next year’s Penrith Relay for Life event.
Now in its 15th year and currently the highest rating Relay for Life in NSW, next year’s event was officially launched earlier this month at the new location of Penrith Paceway.
“The event has got so big over time that we have outgrown the venue we have used for the last 14 years at Howell Oval,” NSW Cancer Council spokesperson, Nathan Dart said.
“We expect to keep growing and this is a big move for us, and a positive one for sure.”
Almost 1,800 people registered for the 2015 event with just over $400,000 raised for the Cancer Council.
“We are aiming really high for 2016 and would like to raise over $500,000 and have over 2000 people register for the event,” Mr Dart said.
“We are really calling on the community to come out in force and register now.”
Mr Dart said the 2016 Penrith Relay for Life will focus even more on the ceremonies of celebrating survivors of cancer, those going through it now and the ones that have been lost.
“I’m excited about the changes and it will highlight the significance of why we do the Relay for Life event in the community,” he said.
The event is being advertised around the Penrith community with a big focus on teams and people to stay at the event for the full 24-hour period.
So far around 20 teams have already signed up online.
To register for the 2016 Penrith Relay for Life, visit www.relayforlife.org.au. It will be held on April 2 and April 3.